In April 2022, Ledger released its latest and most innovative hardware wallet to date, the Ledger Nano S Plus. This model is a more affordable version of the Ledger Nano S but with added functionality.
The main selling point of the new device is that it makes DeFi and NFT friendly and ready for Web3.
What is Ledger Nano S Plus
Ledger Nano S+ is a highly secure cryptocurrency hardware wallet designed for individuals and organizations who want to store their digital assets in a safe and secure manner.
It’s a compact and portable device that allows you to store your private keys offline, which is the most secure way to protect your cryptocurrencies.
This crypto wallet supports multiple cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and over 5000+ other altcoins, making it a versatile and convenient solution for managing your digital assets.
With a user-friendly interface and an easy-to-use OLED display, the Ledger Nano S+ provides a seamless and convenient experience for users who want to manage their cryptocurrencies.
The device is also built with robust security features such as a secure chip and a passphrase feature, which adds an extra layer of protection for your digital assets.
Overall, the Ledger Nano S Plus is the perfect solution for anyone who wants to keep their cryptocurrencies secure, accessible, and easy to manage.
Ledger Nano S Plus supported coins
What coins does Ledger Nano S Plus support?
Some of the other cryptocurrencies supported by the Ledger Nano S Plus include:
- Binance Coin (BNB)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Polkadot (DOT)
- Polygon (MATIC)
- Tezos (XTZ)
- and many more.
In total, the Ledger Nano S+ supports over 5000 different cryptocurrencies, making it a versatile and flexible solution for managing your digital assets.
How to set up Ledger Nano S Plus
You must set up the Ledger by creating your own PIN code or password and do the backup yourself. This is not something that should be given to you by anyone!
The Ledger Nano S Plus is just as easy to set up as its predecessor models, and can be done following three simple steps:
- Set up as a new device: You connect your hardware wallet to the Ledger Live software through a USB. After that, you select “Set up as new device” on the menu of options for the hardware. Confirm your decision by pressing both buttons. If you want to import an already existing Recovery Seed instead, that’s possible too.
- Select PIN code: In order to keep the device secure, a PIN code has been set up so that only approved individuals can access it. This can be any 4 to 8 character combination.
- Recovery Seed: The 24-word recovery phrase is now displayed one word at a time on the Ledger Nano S Plus screen. This occurs only once and represents the backup of not just the hardware wallet, but also all associated crypto. You have the option to check the accuracy of your seed by entering the 24 words; this is generally recommended, as it eliminates human error in writing down the seed.
How to use Ledger Nano S Plus
Learn how to access Ledger Nano S Plus
Using the Ledger Nano S+ is relatively straightforward and user-friendly.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use it:
- Set up the device: First, you will need to set up your Ledger Nano S+ by following the instructions above, or the ones in the user manual. This includes connecting the device to your computer, setting up a PIN, and creating a backup of your recovery phrase.
- Install the Ledger Live app: Next, you will need to download the Ledger Live app, which is available for both desktop and mobile devices. This app will allow you to manage your cryptocurrencies and keep track of your transactions.
- Add and manage your assets: Once you have set up the Ledger Live app, you can add your cryptocurrencies to the wallet by following the on-screen instructions. You can also use the app to view your balance, send and receive coins, and monitor the performance of your digital assets.
- Keep your recovery phrase safe: It is important to keep your recovery phrase safe and secure, as this will be necessary if you need to restore your Ledger Nano in the future. You should store your recovery phrase in a secure location, such as a fireproof safe or a secure offline location.
Overall, the Ledger Nano S+ is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, making it a convenient and accessible solution for managing your cryptocurrencies.
With its compact design, robust security features, and support for a wide range of cryptocurrencies, this cryptocurrency wallet is the perfect choice for anyone looking to secure their digital assets.
How does Ledger Nano S Plus work
The private keys are used to sign transactions on the blockchain, so it is essential to keep them safe and secure.
By storing your private keys on the Ledger Nano S Plus, you can ensure that they are protected against hacking and theft.
Here’s an overview of how the Ledger Nano S+ works:
- Connect the device to your computer: To use the Ledger Nano S, you will need to connect it to your computer or mobile device using a USB cable.
- Use the Ledger Live app: The Ledger Live app provides a user-friendly interface for managing your cryptocurrencies on the Ledger Nano S+. You can use the app to view your balance, send and receive coins, and monitor the performance of your digital assets.
- Sign transactions: When you want to send or receive coins, the Ledger Nano S will use your private keys to sign the transaction. This ensures that the transaction is secure and cannot be altered or reversed.
- Store your private keys: The Ledger Nano S stores your private keys in a secure chip on the device. This chip is protected by a PIN, which you will need to enter each time you want to access your cryptocurrencies.
Overall, the Ledger Nano S+ provides a secure and convenient way to store and manage your cryptocurrencies. By keeping your private keys in a hardware device, the Ledger Nano S Plus helps to reduce the risk of hacking and theft, providing the ultimate protection for your digital assets.
How to turn off Ledger Nano S Plus
To turn off your Ledger Nano S+, you simply need to unplug the device from your computer or mobile device. The Ledger will automatically shut down when it is disconnected from a power source.
It’s important to note that you should always properly eject the device before unplugging it to ensure that any data transfer is completed and to prevent any potential data loss.
Additionally, it’s recommended to keep your Ledger in a safe place when it’s not in use, as the device contains sensitive information, such as your private keys, that should be protected from theft or damage.
How to reset Ledger Nano S Plus
To reset your Ledger Nano S+, you will need to follow these steps:
- Prepare your recovery phrase: Before resetting your Ledger Nano S+, you should have your recovery phrase handy. The recovery phrase is a series of 24 words that you should have written down and stored in a safe place when you first set up your device.
- Disconnect the device: Disconnect the Ledger from your computer or mobile device.
- Press both buttons: Hold down both buttons on the device for about 5 seconds, until the device’s screen displays a message to confirm the reset.
- Follow the on-screen instructions: Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the device again. This will include entering your recovery phrase, creating a new PIN, and configuring your security settings.
It’s important to note that resetting your Ledger will erase all data and settings on the device, so it should only be done if you are sure that you want to start over with a fresh device.
How to update Ledger Nano S Plus
To update your Ledger Nano S+, you will need to follow these steps:
- Connect the device: Connect your Ledger to your computer or mobile device using the USB cable.
- Open the Ledger Live app: Open the Ledger Live app on your computer or mobile device.
- Check for updates: In the Ledger Live app, click on the menu icon in the top-left corner, then select “Firmware Update.” The app will check for any available firmware updates for your device.
- Download and install the update: If there is an update available, follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update. The update process may take several minutes, so be patient and do not disconnect the device during this time.
- Verify the update: After the update is complete, verify that the new firmware version is installed on your device. You can do this by checking the firmware version in the Ledger Live app or by checking the device’s screen.
It’s important to keep your Ledger Nano S Plus updated with the latest firmware to ensure that it is functioning properly and that you have access to the latest features and security updates. Additionally, it’s recommended to back up your device before updating it, in case of any unexpected issues during the update process.
How secure is Ledger Nano S+
The Ledger Nano S Plus is considered to be a secure device for storing cryptocurrencies. It uses a combination of hardware and software security measures to protect your private keys and ensure that your assets are safe.
Some of the security features of the Ledger Nano S+ include:
- Physical buttons: The device has two physical buttons that must be pressed in sequence to confirm transactions, making it difficult for hackers to steal your assets.
- Encryption: The device uses encryption to protect your private keys, so even if the device is lost or stolen, your assets will still be secure.
- Recovery phrase: The Ledger Nano S Plus comes with a recovery phrase that you can use to restore your device if it is lost or damaged. This phrase should be stored in a safe place, as it is the only way to access your assets if your device is lost or damaged.
- Isolation: The Ledger Nano S Plus uses a secure chip to isolate the private keys from the rest of the device and to ensure that your assets are protected from malware and hacking attempts.
It’s important to keep in mind that, while the Ledger Nano S Plus is a secure device, you still need to follow best practices for securing your cryptocurrency assets, such as using a strong PIN, regularly backing up your device, and keeping your recovery phrase safe.
Additionally, it’s a good idea to avoid downloading third-party software or applications to your Ledger Nano S Plus, as this can compromise the security of the device.
Where to buy Ledger Nano S Plus
It’s essential to purchase your Ledger Nano S directly from the manufacturer, as any other source may offer modified wallets with backdoors that would put your funds at risk of being stolen.
While you can find these devices on popular sites such as Amazon, it is safer and more prudent to buy them directly from Ledger.
Keep in mind that buying a Ledger Nano S Plus is a long-term investment in the security of your cryptocurrency assets, so it’s worth spending the money.
Ledger Nano S Plus vs X review
What is the difference between Ledger Nano S Plus and X?
The Ledger Nano S Plus and Ledger Nano X are both hardware wallets produced by Ledger. They are designed to store and secure your cryptocurrency assets.
The main differences between the two devices include:
- Screen size: The Ledger Nano S Plus has a smaller screen compared to the Ledger Nano X, which has a larger, full-color touch screen.
- Connectivity: The Ledger Nano X has Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to use it with your mobile device or tablet, while the Ledger Nano S Plus only has USB connectivity.
- Battery life: The Ledger Nano X has a rechargeable battery and can be used for several days on a single charge, while the Ledger Nano S Plus does not have a battery and must be connected to a computer or mobile device to be used.
- Memory: The Ledger Nano X has more memory and can store more applications and assets compared to the Ledger Nano S Plus.
- Price: The Ledger Nano X is generally more expensive than the Ledger Nano S Plus, as it has more advanced features and capabilities.
We also have a Ledger Nano X review which can help you decide between these two similar wallets.
Ultimately, the choice between the Ledger Nano S Plus and Ledger Nano X will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
If you want a larger screen and Bluetooth connectivity, the Ledger Nano X may be the better choice.
If you prefer a more affordable option with a smaller screen and only USB connectivity, the Ledger Nano S Plus may be a better choice for you.
How to eject or disconnect Ledger Nano S from computer?
To eject or disconnect the Ledger Nano S from your computer, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Taskbar and select Task Manager
- Find the “Ledger Live” process in the list of running applications, right-click on it, and select “End task”
- Once the Ledger Live application is closed, safely eject the Ledger Nano S from your computer by clicking on the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the Windows system tray, then selecting the Ledger Nano S and clicking “Eject”
- Right-click on the Ledger Live icon in the dock and select “Quit”
- Once the Ledger Live application is closed, safely eject the Ledger Nano S from your computer by right-clicking on the Ledger Nano S in the Finder, selecting “Eject”, and then unplugging the device from your computer
- Close the Ledger Live application
- Eject the Ledger Nano S by right-clicking on the device in your file manager, selecting “Unmount”, and then unplugging the device from your computer
After following these steps, you should be able to safely disconnect your Ledger Nano S from your computer without losing any data or causing any damage to your device.
What happens if my Ledger Nano S Plus breaks?
If your Ledger Nano S Plus wallet breaks, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your cryptocurrency assets:
- Contact Ledger Support: If your Ledger Nano S is still under warranty, you should contact Ledger Support to initiate a warranty claim and receive a replacement device.
- Backup Your Recovery Phrase: If your Ledger Nano S is no longer under warranty, or if you have not yet backed up your recovery phrase, you should do so as soon as possible. The recovery phrase is a 12-24 word phrase that is generated when you set up your Ledger Nano S and is used to recover your assets in the event of device loss or failure.
- Secure Your Recovery Phrase: Once you have backed up your recovery phrase, it’s important to store it in a safe and secure location, such as a fireproof safe or a safety deposit box.
- Restore Your Assets: Once you have a new Ledger Nano S or another compatible hardware wallet, you can restore your assets by entering your recovery phrase.
If you have any issues or questions about restoring your assets after a device failure, you should contact Ledger Support for assistance. It’s important to be proactive and take steps to protect your assets in the event of device failure to ensure that your cryptocurrency is secure.
How fast does Ledger Nano S Plus ship?
The shipping speed for a Ledger Nano S Plus hardware wallet will depend on several factors, including the shipping method selected, the location of the buyer, and the availability of the device.
Ledger offers several shipping options, including standard shipping and expedited shipping, for customers in different regions. Standard shipping times typically range from 5-10 business days, while expedited shipping options, such as express or overnight delivery, may arrive more quickly.
It’s always a good idea to check the shipping details and estimated delivery times for your specific region and shipping method before placing an order. If you need your Ledger Nano S Plus quickly, you may consider choosing an expedited shipping option to receive your device more quickly.
Please note that shipping times may be affected by factors such as holidays, inclement weather, and postal or customs delays, which are beyond the control of Ledger.
How many coins can Ledger Nano S Plus hold?
The Ledger Nano S Plus is designed to hold an unlimited number of coins and tokens, as long as they are supported by the Ledger Live software. Ledger Live is the official desktop and mobile application that allows you to manage your crypto assets on the Ledger Nano S Plus and other Ledger hardware wallets.
The Ledger Nano S Plus supports a wide range of popular cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Cardano, Polkadot and many more. The exact number of supported coins and tokens may change over time as Ledger continues to add new assets to the Ledger Live software.
It’s important to note that while the Ledger Nano S Plus can hold an unlimited number of coins, the device itself has limited storage space.
This means that you may need to periodically transfer some of your coins to a different wallet or exchange if you are holding a large number of different assets on the Ledger Nano S Plus.
How to view Ledger Nano S Plus balance?
To view your Ledger Nano S Plus balance, you will need to use the Ledger Live software, which is the official desktop and mobile application for managing your cryptocurrency assets on Ledger hardware wallets.
Here are the steps to view your Ledger Nano S Plus balance using Ledger Live:
- Download and install Ledger Live on your computer or mobile device.
- Connect your Ledger Nano S Plus to your computer or mobile device using the USB cable.
- Enter your device pin to unlock it.
- In Ledger Live, select the coin or token that you want to view the balance for.
- Your balance will be displayed in the Overview section of Ledger Live, along with the current price of the coin or token in your preferred currency.
- You can also view transaction history and other details for each coin or token by clicking on it in Ledger Live.
It’s important to note that in order to view your Ledger Nano S Plus balance in Ledger Live, you will need to have already added the relevant accounts to the Ledger Live software and have confirmed that they are properly set up and connected to your Ledger Nano S Plus device.
What does a Ledger Nano S Plus do?
A Ledger Nano S Plus is a cryptocurrency hardware wallet that is designed to securely store, manage, and protect digital assets, such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and other cryptocurrencies.
A hardware wallet is a physical device that stores your private keys, which are used to access and control your cryptocurrency assets. By keeping your private keys stored offline, on the Ledger Nano S Plus device, you can reduce the risk of your assets being stolen or lost as a result of online hacking or malware attacks.
The Ledger Nano S Plus has several key features that make it an attractive option for managing digital assets, including:
- Security: The Ledger Nano S Plus is designed with a secure chip, known as a secure element, which protects your private keys from being accessed or stolen by unauthorized third parties.
- Compatibility: The Ledger Nano S Plus is compatible with a wide range of cryptocurrencies and can store an unlimited number of assets, as long as they are supported by the Ledger Live software.
- Easy to use: The Ledger Live software makes it easy to manage your assets, view your balance, and conduct transactions on the Ledger Nano S Plus. The software is available for both desktop and mobile devices, allowing you to access your assets from anywhere.
- Portability: The compact design of the Ledger Nano S Plus makes it easy to carry with you, allowing you to access your assets wherever you go.
- Multi-signature support: The Ledger Nano S Plus supports multi-signature transactions, which can help increase security and reduce the risk of fraudulent activity.
By using a Ledger Nano S Plus, you can keep your digital assets secure and easily accessible, while also reducing the risk of theft or loss due to online hacking or other security threats.